Thursday, December 4, 2014

Realizations

I know I didn't choose my orientation.  But I always assumed it wasn't genetic.  I mean, how could this trait be genetic when it's primary effect would be to make it less likely to reproduce?  It should be selected against.  Then I saw an interesting statistic that second sons were more likely to be gay than first sons, third sons more likely than second, etc.  More importantly, this held regardless of whether older brothers were present, stillborn, adopted away, etc., and did not hold for adoptive brothers, only biological brothers.  This indicated to me that there was something in the gestational chemistry that seemed to affect orientation.

But now I've changed my mind.  Some great research has come to light indicating that a collection of genetic factors could have a strong influence on being attracted to males.  In guys, it makes them more likely to be gay.  But in girls, it increases the average number of children they have.  So because of the larger families, it is not something selected against.  In fact, it could be selected for.  Also, if you are a second or third son, you are more likely from a larger family, and so more likely to have the genetic predisposition.  It's all beginning to make sense now.  There is a very logical genetic factor in orientation.  I love having these cool realizations.

Please note that this does not mean there is a gay gene.  Rather, it means that there are genetic factors in the development of orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment