Friday, October 4, 2013

Why I Love General Conference

I love general conference.  I remember being a kid sitting outside with my father listening to conference on the radio.  We didn't get it on television where we lived.  Now, with the internet, it's available to view all around the world.
When I was young, my parents made sure we kids were listening when President Kimball spoke, but I found that I most enjoyed the stories of (then) Elder Monson.  I recall the first conference I attended in person, and shaking hands with apostles after the Priesthood session.  I remember a few years later when I started to really get President Hinckley's sense of humor, and deciding that he was my favorite speaker.

I don't remember every word that was spoken.  We do have records of all those old conferences that I sometimes peruse, so maybe I don't have to remember it.  But I do remember how much conference inspires me to be a better person.  I know that there are always things we could complain about, and there are likely some inaccuracies spoken, and some literary mistakes as well.  But the spirit of conference is one that makes me want to improve myself, my behavior, my relationships, my talents, etc.  The advice we get is usually pretty standard.  The message really hasn't changed much over the years.  Occasionally there is some policy change for the church.  But the true value to me is the spirit -- the messages from the still small voice to my heart while I listen to the speakers that inspires me to love and to live better.

And this time, I can enjoy the Priesthood session from home!  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment