Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Being a Gay Scout Leader

I've been involved in scouts as a scout and a leader for most of my life.  I'm currently a leader in the scouting program, but since I'm not really "out" I guess I don't count as "open and avowed" according to the scouts.  So I can continue to be a leader.  But what would happen if I came out of that proverbial closet?  Since I'm still active and hold a temple recommend, the Church probably wouldn't have a problem with me being a leader.  But surely there would be some busybody who would so worry about me infecting innocent boys with the gay virus that they would complain to the scouting office.  I worry about the reasoning of these people.  They were okay as long as my orientation was secret, but they're scared of knowing?  That's just so weird.  I'd think if they had the boys best interest at heart, they would encourage openness.  Isn't it better to know more about our boys' leaders than for them to be keeping secrets?  What message are we telling our boys?  Telling the truth will be punished, while refusing to tell the truth is rewarded?  It seems like the wrong message.

3 comments:

  1. The way I see it is that when you "aggressively" come out about being gay, it sends a message of pride and contentment with being gay. I think the same principles can apply with anything. If you are an addict to anything, and you run around saying "hey, I'm an addict!" you send out the wrong message. You're saying "I like my addiction, it's a good thing! You should try it!" It's not a matter of lying, or even hiding, it's a matter of protecting yourself and those around you. I'm sure as a fellow SSA Mormon, you can see my point. We have to think in depth about our options before making a decision. The church is not trying to send out a negative message to gays, the church is trying to protect them from the world who would corrupt and destroy us if they could. Know God loves you. Trust in Him, and you can find happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not the Church but the scouts that have the problem. The Church is okay with gay members as long as they follow the commandments (like the law of chastity) the same as everyone else.

      Delete