Monday, January 14, 2013

Unusual Kid part 2

I've recently been thinking about young adult literature.  There is no specific genre or story type that makes it young adult.  The only commonality I can find is drama.  The worlds described in young adult literature almost always have an exaggerated sense of the importance of personal relationships and extremely angsty forming and breaking of friendships.  Emotions are as extreme and important as teenagers think they are, rather than at a realistic level.

I was not normal in this regard.  I did not tend to have the teen angst that I saw in those around me.  In fact, I tended to ignore it, and was a bit naive about what others were thinking and doing.  I think a large part of this had to do with my orientation.  I was not enamored with the girls around me, and so I didn't join in with a lot of the guy talk that centered on girls.  I dated girls, sure.  I went to dances and asked girls out.  It was fun.  But I never had to deal with being heavily attracted to my date, so I was free to just have fun and enjoy myself in the activity.  I never dated guys, so I never felt the drama.

I sometimes wonder if I'm even the type to feel the drama.  I tend to be rather an optimist.  I heard someone recently talk about being defiantly happy, kind of being happy despite trouble.  I think that describes me growing up.  Sure I had trouble; everyone does, but I didn't dwell on it, and was largely cheerful anyway.  So again, my experience really doesn't help me relate to others.  But I really love to talk to others, and hope I can spread some optimism around while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment