Friday, January 11, 2013

Unusual Kid part 1

I grew up in an era in which after-school fighting was discouraged, but tolerated.  It's different now.  If one of my sons had been involved in a fight in middle school, even if he never threw a punch or reacted in any way, school policy was three days suspension.  Period.  That was not the situation when I was in school.  In fact, if a kid was being picked on, they were often encouraged (even by school counselors!) to throw a punch in the hopes that they would get some respect.

I was an unusual kid.  I was never involved in a fight.  In order to get friction, you need two objects, two forces, etc.  I refused to be a second force.  It's not that I was a conscientious objector or anything like that.  I just kind of avoided being in a position to have friction with others.  A happy consequence of this attitude was that I was not picked on much.  I largely avoided the bullies.  There were a couple bullies that tried to single me out, but found I wasn't much fun to bully.  I wouldn't react all offended; I'd just take it in stride and shrug it off -- not in an in-your-face-I-don't-care kind of way, but more a deferral-of-the-brunt feeling.

I think I reacted to my orientation in a very similar manner.  I just kind of took it in stride and deferred the brunt.  I didn't get all offended by it, nor did I try to take it head on and reject it.  I think that may have allowed me to grow in the gospel and develop rather normally despite the friction that usually seems to occur for most gay Mormon youth.

It may make it a little harder for me to understand what others might be going through, but it also makes it easier for me to just accept someone -- I'll just take it in stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment