Monday, January 7, 2013

Better to Burn?

In the New Testament, Paul addresses the missionaries called to serve the church among the Corinthinans.  Some of them have a hard time controlling their sexual desires, and are not happy being celbate missionaries.  So Paul gives this advice, which is admittedly not doctrine, but his own opinion:
But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. (KJV 1 Cor 7:9)
If they can't keep themselves celebate during their missions, they should get married so as not to break the law of chastity.  Okay, I get this.  I'm curious to see what Paul's opinion would be of a young man who wanted to go on a mission who was burning with passion for other men.  That was me, as a young BYU freshman.  However, I was able to contain, so to speak, and go on a successful mission.  When I got back, I actually fell in love with a woman (the only time that's ever happened) and was married to her.

But what of the young men who cannot contain?  The church can't sanction same gender marriage, so is their only option to burn?  I have to point out again that Paul admits that this is not doctrine, but merely his opinion, and care should be taken when dealing with this passage.  Should all young men be able to contain?

Sometimes my hormones rage.  This has been happening since the onset of puberty and is not remarkable.  Since I am married, I have an outlet for the physical desires that fits within the law of chastity.  However, before I was married, I remember how hard it was.  I think it's hard for everyone, regardless of orientation.  Still, I see where Paul is coming from. 

I know that the youth in the church, today, are taught to bridle their passions.  When I was a youth, since the lessons all only referenced heterosexual relations, it was easy for me to just think most of the lessons were not applicable to me.  But as time progressed, I was able to better apply the lessons to myself.  I had to kind of make up my own examples applicable to me.  Even so, without any structure or adult leaders or other sources of relevant examples, it was very difficult and I made many mistakes and thought many wrong things.

I worry that our youth with homosexual orientation are in the same boat I was in.  The church really doesn't supply teachings that are applied properly to them, and leaders are often not aware of how to mentor such youth.  It makes things pretty rough.  I can see that the church is trying to decide how best to address this problem, but at the same time reticent to state anything that could be taken in such a way as to indicate a different standard of chastity.  That makes it hard for the church to say anything at all.  I applaud the efforts that are being made, and have hope that things will improve, but I suspect that improvement will be slow and careful until enough proper thought is given and revelation is received.  Until then, I guess we will just have to contain.

No comments:

Post a Comment