Thursday, February 5, 2015

True Love

Children usually don't recognize the sacrifices people make on their behalf.  I don't think it's their fault.  They aren't really in a position to see the larger picture.  But parents and guardians often make very significant, sometimes lifelong sacrifices for them.  That's true love.

I have a friend who has given up a majority of life goals because their spouse has special needs and requires huge sacrifices.  That's true love.

I have often heard that "you love those you serve," and it certainly has been so in my life.  Love follows service and sacrifice.  The more opportunities I have to serve and sacrifice for someone, the more love I have for them.

I think that's true of marriage, too.  A marriage based on sacrificing for each other, serving each other, listening to and learning from each other -- that's a marriage that is likely to bring happiness and endure.  That's a marriage that shows true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment