Thursday, February 12, 2015

Family

Growing up, I would sometimes fight and argue with my siblings.  I disagreed with my parents, and showed an unfortunate amount of disrespect.  But I never had any reason to doubt my parents' love for me.  While they do not know my orientation, their love for me would not diminish if they did know.  I can't imagine how it would feel to be disowned by family, since I can't imagine my parents doing that.  It breaks my heart when I hear about others in such a situation.  As a parent, myself, I can't imagine anything that would cause me to reject one of my own children.

One of the things that always interested me was how many sources claimed that homosexuality was caused by some kind of family dysfunction, yet I knew that wasn't true for me.  My very stable family probably helped me cope with the conflicted feelings experienced by a young Mormon with a gay orientation.  I feel very grateful for such a great family, and hope my children feel my love for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment