Friday, December 20, 2013

Finding a Soul Mate

I have kids, so I end up seeing lots of animated films.  That's fine, because I really love animated films.  But I remember watching "Hotel Transylvania" and staring in dismay when an awful lie was expressed.  Evidently, in this fictional world, there comes a time in your life when you "zing" (meaning, fall in love) and it only happens once.  If you miss that chance, you are doomed to a life without your one true love.  What an awful message!  Despite the fact that it's a terrible falsehood, too many people believe it.

I recently read a wonderful article describing a very different attitude.  Her story expresses that the person she fell for, her soul mate, didn't work out, but the person she married, she worked with until they became soul mates, not by some magic attraction but by patiently working at their relationship.  You can read the story by clicking here.

I suppose different people will get different message from the article.  To me, it says that a soul mate isn't someone we find, it's someone we work with, sacrifice for, and build up.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe in the "zing". It's a wonderful feeling to "fall in love". But I really appreciate your comments because I also agree that it's an awful message to suggest to someone that it only happens once. I used to believe that -- until I fell in love again.

    I was lamenting to a friend that the first love no longer seemed special and unique. He reminded that while it may no longer be unique, that doesn't mean it isn't just as special as it always was.

    My wife has something similar to say: We don't have a finite amount of love to give. Loving a new person doesn't mean that your love for other people lessens.

    And I really appreciated your comments about working with, sacrificing for, etc. That's what makes love blossom and deepen into something that will last through anything.

    ReplyDelete