Thursday, June 25, 2015

Gender Roles

Throughout my education, I've been taught that gender roles are social constructs, and aren't an inherent part of us.  That belief makes it hard for me to understand those who are transgender.  The drive to express a particular gender seems weird to me.  If gender roles are purely social constructs then gender dysphoria is a social issue, not biological -- somehow not an inherent part of people.

But as I read more of those who experience this, I start to wonder.  Maybe there is something fundamentally inherent about gender roles.  In fact, the writings of transgender individuals helps me better accept and understand the Proclamation on the Family, which claims that there are primary gender roles and responsibilities.  Somehow our gender roles are an inherent part of us and not purely social constructs.

I have to go work on changing my universal paradigm now.  I'll be back later.

1 comment:

  1. To the anonymous individual who posted a comment in Polish, I'm sorry I don't understand Polish and am therefore wary of posting it. I get enough junk posts that I have to reject, I don't know if the post is a valid one. If there were some way you could convey the meaning of the post, and if it's appropriate to the topic of the blog, I'd be happy to allow it.

    ReplyDelete