Thursday, June 18, 2015

Differences

One of the challenges in astronomy is that we can look at the universe from only one point of view.  For example, we can't see what the Andromeda Galaxy looks like from the other side.  Even our view of our own galaxy is very limited.  It makes it hard to decide what facts are universally true and which are only products of our point of view.

When we interact with others, we have the same kinds of problems.  I don't know what it's like to be you.  I don't know your thought processes.  I only know what the results look like to me.  Just like astronomers, we tend to assume that the way things seem from our own point of view is typical of the universe  We figure that other people probably have thought processes similar to ourselves.  But that's not necessarily true.  Here's a video from one of my favorite youtubers that explains how gender issues helped her understand this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment