Thursday, April 16, 2015

Don't take it personally.

Early on in General Conference, there was a decided focus on the importance of marriage and family.  Many in the gay Mormon community felt attacked.  But I don't think the messages were intended to be anti-gay.  Rather, I think there is good evidence that these values are eroding away before our eyes.  Consider, for example, this article from CNN which demonstrates the changing view of marriage in the developed world.  If we successfully de-family the population, will we be better off? The leaders of the Church don't believe so, are worried about what is happening.  That's the reason for the focus on marriage and family in general conference.  I think it's important to look at the big picture and not allow ourselves to take what is said personally.

2 comments:

  1. How about the attempt.to.go to the supreme.court with the idea that gay.marriage will be unfair.to.gay.Mormons.like yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about that brief, but I have not read it. My first blush response is that I would probably disagree, but again, it's a bad idea to rush to judgement when I haven't read it. It sounds like there were people named in the brief who were not consulted, which leads me to believe that it wasn't put together very well.

    ReplyDelete