Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Press Conference

When I blog, I often blog several weeks ahead and then wait a while to blog.  So this will be old news by the time my blog post gets read.  Still, I thought to comment.  It seems to me that the purpose of the news conference was mainly to clarify the position of the church, not to announce anything new.  The church has publicly supported housing and employment rights regardless of orientation.  So this is not new, just trying to clear up what the stance was.

I suspect that most of the members don't even know the stance of the church.  Most people don't know of the church's stance in the past.  So the press conference will be very helpful for the membership of the church, and that was likely one of the primary purposes.  Another purpose was, of course, to reiterate the desire to strengthen the free exercise of religion.  This is, again nothing new, just clarifying the position of the church for those who were not aware.  Evidently not many people were aware, as evidenced by the reaction of the press who thought the position was new.  So the press conference was, indeed, needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment