Thursday, February 26, 2015

Priestcrafts

In the second book of Nephi, 26:29, it states "He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion."  For me, this is the litmus test of whether I think that advocacy has gone too far.

There have been a couple of prominent members in disciplinary councils, lately, and everyone keeps focusing on their personal convictions.  But I think they miss the main point.  Each of these people has very distinctly tried to set themselves up as the light to which we should be looking.  And while earlier on, these people attempted to seek the welfare of Zion, over time that position changed.

As an outside observer, I am sure I don't know all of the details in the disciplinary councils, but if this is a case of people setting themselves up for a light to get gain and praise of the world, I fear that more severe judgments might not be surprising.  I feel sorry for those that have been put in the difficult position to have to render judgement.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you.

    I have a friend at work who is a newly called Stake President after having served as a six-year Bishop. He and I talk often and a lot about many different things related to the Church and to the Gospel. This is one of them. He said that people have no idea of the time and effort that would have gone in to this situation by this Stake President and how hard he had tried working with this particular individual. I believe there is a real human toll on leaders as they are asked to do a very difficult thing. I am also fairly certain in my belief that no Stake President would take any kind of delight in having to go through a disciplinary council such as this- it has been very painful for him, as well.

    I love your "litmus test". There is none better. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete