Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Right to Be Crushed

Nothing bothers me more than the argument that a gay oriented man is somehow harming his wife if he marries a woman.  There's this weird idea of a right to have your spouse have a crush on you.  I detest this thinking largely because it leads to so much divorce among traditional heterosexual couples, let alone those with other orientations.  A natural consequence of this "right" is that when the honeymoon and glow of newlywed-ness wears off (and it will for almost every couple) it is time for the couple to consider divorce because their partner can no longer provide them with that crush.

I love the story of the poet Thomas Moore whose wife recovered from small pox, and wouldn't show her face because it was disfigured.  Thomas penned the lyrics to "Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms" about how it doesn't matter how she looks; he will always love her.  That's what real love is, when the physical attractiveness is gone, the love is still there.

For my part, I never felt that fall from the honeymoon state in my own marriage.  I attribute it to the fact that I fell in love with my wife despite being attracted to men only, which means I didn't have the typical falling-out-of-attraction stage that many marriages go through.  I'm not saying I don't think my wife attractive, but my feelings for her developed as a whole rather than the common physical-first experience.

Granted, if a gay man was getting married to a woman simply because he felt obligated to do so, or because he wanted offspring, that is unlikely to be healthy.  And I would certainly expect anyone considering marriage to be honest with their prospective fiancé about their orientation.  But a marriage based on physical attraction is also unlikely to be healthy.  Some women feel that they need their spouse to be completely physically infatuated with them, and I agree that it's their choice.  Don't marry a gay man.  But don't be surprised and offended if your spouse sometimes finds others more physically attractive than you.  Like Thomas Moore's wife, it was something she had to get over, and realize that true love, in the end, has little to do with physical attractiveness.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps a problem if the gay man has to brave up.for sex with.his wife and.constantly has to.suppress sexual thoughts of gay men. Your wife has no.idea what it would be.like to be married to a straight man. She might prefer it ,she can't really know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This idea that if you aren't having ideal sex then you shouldn't be married is precisely what I'm talking about. I have a friend who, due to injury, can't have sex with his wife. Should she leave him? Marriage is so much more. Yes, sex is important, but it's not the determining factor in a marriage, or at least it shouldn't be. I know that many wives have to "brave up for sex," as you say, because their husbands want it more. Should their husbands leave them? This societal obsession with sex is harming marriage as an institution and individual marriages as well.

      That being said, I don't have to 'brave up for sex,' as you put it. The fact that I've never had sex with anyone other than my wife means I don't compare her to anyone else. I think that's healthy, and a good situation.

      Delete
  2. Those are exactly my thoughts too! Our marriage is stronger because it isn't just a physical things but a whole package thing. Those things that make it more difficult also make it stronger because we work at making those few things work.
    ~Wrylon

    ReplyDelete