Friday, December 13, 2013

Be Prepared

President Hunter asked members of the Church to get and keep temple recommends, even if there was not a temple they had the means to visit.  It's an interesting request.  It reminds me of the saints in the early days of the Church from Colesville, New York.  They migrated to Ohio, and knew they were not intending to stay.  But they were commanded, "let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good." (Doc&Cov 51:17)  They ended up staying for less than two months.  But they were to act as though they were staying for years.  Develop friendships with neighbors; build bridges; plant crops.  Even if you leave and can't harvest the fruit of your labors, they are good labors, and will bless you.  Even if you don't have an accessible temple, getting a recommend is a good thing, and will bless you.

President Hinckley said something similar to those for whom marriage was not forthcoming.  Be prepared, but live life.  Get an education and become productive.  Be ready if an opportunity arises, but don't obsess about the future.  Grow and develop where you are.  Like the Colesville saints, build bridges, plant crops, develop friendships.

I think something similar can be true when someone has a gay orientation.  When I got back from my mission, I decided I would continue with my education and live a full life regardless of whether or not I found someone who would marry me for who I was.  I figured it would be quite some time before I married because I was not attracted to girls.  It turned out to be not very long, but I was not obsessing over it.  In fact, I was rather unprepared for it when the opportunity came (as my poor wife could attest).

Overall, it's good to be prepared for the things we hope for, but it's also good not to obsess too much about the future but live life here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment