Friday, November 15, 2013

Two Different Freedoms

I think that I interact with the idea of freedom in two different ways.  So for me, it is as if there were two totally different forms of freedom.  The first is "freedom from" in that I can be free from some influence or power.  I would like to be free from pain.  This kind of freedom is like safety.  If there is a safety net below a tightrope walker, an acrobat on the tightrope is free from some of the consequences of falling.  This is an important kind of freedom.  We want to be free from the judgments of others, to be free from discrimination, to be free from restrictions.

On the other hand, a more difficult form of freedom is "freedom to" in the sense of freedom to act or be.
 This freedom is a kind of power.  I am free to purchase what I want with my own money.  I am free to raise my family the way I choose.  I am free to go to the church of my choice, or not to go at all.  I am free to make choices.  This kind of freedom comes with responsibilities, and often has severe costs and consequences.  I am free to act irresponsibly, but there would be consequences if I chose to do so.

When I hear young gay Mormons wish that they could be free from their orientations, I completely understand.  I remember wishing for that myself.  But perhaps a better thing is to wish for freedom to act.  What kinds of power to act can grow around my orientation?  What can I learn to do because of my current situation?  That's a kind of freedom that can be more accessible to me, and is probably more healthy for me.  How can I help those around me?  How can I choose to uplift?

I just want to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment