Tuesday, November 5, 2013

High School

I've heard many stories about gay oriented Mormon who were bullied in high school, or otherwise have had terrible experiences during that period of their lives.  I so feel for these folks, and want to go back in time and be their friends, support them through that period of their lives.  It was so different for me.
I wasn't exactly mister popular, but I had lots of friends and support from those around me.  The rare bullies that tried to invade my happiness were quickly subdued by common acquaintances.  I loved my time in high school.

That being said, I did have crushes on male classmates, and kept them to myself.  I dated girls, but never was really attracted to them.  I did feel guilty that I couldn't stop myself from being infatuated with guys.  But that didn't really affect my relationships with others.  I wouldn't remember my guilt when I was animatedly talking to friends, even those who I found attractive.

I felt a wave of guilt when I had interviews to go do temple baptisms, sometimes.  I never had to answer any of the questions in a way to be refused a recommend, but I would feel like there was unworthiness that was left undisclosed.  That also faded quickly, as my attention shifted.  I loved my experiences in the temple with other youth.  I had a very happy childhood.  That sometimes makes it hard for me to fully understand what others in my situation experienced.  I need others to share their experiences so that I can better understand them.

2 comments:

  1. Since you mentioned you'd like to share in others' experiences, I invite you to read our blog. Idefineme.blogspot.com. :) btw - I really enjoy your blog and appreciate your wonderful way of writing and especially your ability to keep things short and sweet (lol) and still share an amazing message every time, since I have a tendency to be extremely blooong winded myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I have read, and like your blog. You might notice that I have a link to it over on the right. The way I keep my posts short and to the point is to write a bunch of posts at once and then schedule them out into the future. It looks like I am a very regular poster, when, in fact, I have a very hard time keeping to any kind of a schedule. If a post gets too long, I break it up into multiple shorter posts. And as a side effect, the posts turn out shorter and more focused.

      Delete