Friday, July 12, 2013

Writing vs. Speaking

I looked back on my mission journal, and saw again how my writing looked very clinical.  I don't put very much emotion into it.  Mainly, I have lists of schedules and milestones.  I talk about doctrine a bit, and it reads rather didactically.  However, when I talked to people as a missionary, I was very fluid.

I look at my blog now, and I see some of the same things.
I write very dispassionately.  I can't seem to put much emotion into my writing.  However, if you could hear me speak, I do so very fluidly and can be very emotional.  I feel like Moroni when he said "Lord thou hast made us mighty in word by faith, but thou hast not made us mighty in writing."

This blog has been a good exercise for me to improve my writing, but I still can't seem to get much emotion through my words.  Ah, well.  At least I see improvement over my writing as a missionary.  I couldn't have written a more dry, boring journal if I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment