Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Gay Scouters

Okay, I was never a very good boy scout.  I didn't ever have the focus and drive to actually complete things like merit badges.  I would usually do most or all the requirements but fail to get the signatures or other paperwork done.  I never disliked camping, tying knots, building fires, etc.  But I was never even close to getting my eagle.  However, secretly, I was not worthy to be a scout, I guess.



I want to point out that I think the supreme court made the right decision allowing the scouts to choose their own membership requirements, and the fact that four of the justices voted to curtail freedoms enjoyed by a private organization simply because they disagree politically is scary.  I just think that the decision by the scouts was wrong.  I can see them stating that those who don't live a chaste life should not be scout leaders.  That makes sense.  But to take homosexuality, with or without chastity, and elevate its seriousness to above that of heterosexual infidelity, is severely wrong-headed.  It is not helpful, friendly, kind, or brave.

One of the reasons I have remained deep in the closet is that for much of my adult life, I've had a calling in the scouting program.  If I came out as gay oriented, the scouting program could kick me out, and I wouldn't be able to fulfill my callings and responsibilities in the church.  (I guess that if I ever wanted to get released from my current calling, I could come out.)

I'm glad that the scouts are reviewing their policy, and I really hope that they change the rules to be orientation-neutral, but still value chastity.

No comments:

Post a Comment