Friday, December 28, 2012

Charity, the Pure Love of Christ

If I had to choose just one gospel topic that I wish I could teach everyone, it would be charity, not because it's something I'm particularly good at, but rather it's something I value, but I know I lack.  Paul teaches the Corinthians that regardless of any other greatness I possess, if I "have not charity, I am nothing. . . . And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." (1 Cor. 13)

But what is it?  In doctrinal terms, it's the pure love of Christ, unconditional love, stronger than a parent for a child.  Again, Paul taught, "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth."  That's all nice and good, but what does it mean to me?

One of my favorite general conference quotes of all time was by Marvin J. Ashton in April of 1992 when he said, "Real charity is not something you give away; it is something that you acquire and make a part of yourself. And when the virtue of charity becomes implanted in your heart, you are never the same again. ... Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other."

This can be a hard one for me.  When I see people I don't know, I instantly categorize them.  I shouldn't do that.  When people express any disappointment, I often assume they are upset at me and I retreat and withhold my friendship, but I shouldn't do that.  I need to think the best of others, give them the benefit of the doubt.  If I keep trying, I'll get better at it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment